On this day in 1904, Theodor Seuss Guisel was born. In the spirit of that, we want to wish you all a happy Dr. Seuss Day! Possibly the most quoted children’s author of all time, we’d like to take this day to share some important things we’ve learned from the writings and life of Dr. Seuss.
1. We are responsible for creating positive change.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
2. Everyone has worth and should be treated with kindness.
“A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
“It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.”
“To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”
3. There’s no sense in trying to be anyone but yourself.
“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
4. Life is full of struggles, but we can face them head on—with confidence and optimism!
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
5. Your brain can do marvelous things.
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”
6. We are in charge of our own fate.
“Only you can control your future.”
7. There are good things all around us every day. We should seek them out and be thankful for them.
“You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.”
8. Sometimes it’s better to be traditional.
“They say I’m old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!”
9. Life is constantly changing, but that’s ok. Appreciate what was and what is, and look forward to what will be!
“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
“If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.”
10. We should never stop learning.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
11. Life is to be enjoyed. Make the best of it!
“You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So… get on your way!”
12. Never underestimate the importance of imagination.
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
Enjoy this day of what will hopefully be full of wonderfully whimsical celebration and jubilation!